Familias Unidas en Acción, Bancha Lenguas Language Justice Collective, and Cooperation New Orleans have been collectively building the cooperative ecosystem in New Orleans since the summer of 2019. Since early March, we have expanded our solidarity efforts to support Familias Unidas en Accion, a New Orleans- based group of immigrant families, during the Covid-19 pandemic. We need your help to support families, especially those with young children, who are in need of food and economic aid. Most people in New Orleans have lost their jobs due to Covid-19; this crisis is hitting our immigrant community particularly hard. In addition, undocumented and very low-income people will not be eligible for the funds provided by the federal government relief package.
Our Mission/Nuestra Misión
- To prepare families to empower themselves in the face of attacks on immigrant communities
- To orient families to general community resources regarding health, education, housing and immigration
- To provide temporary shelter to recently-arrived immigrant families and their children
- To provide trainings and resources for families that are adapting to a new culture
- To orient families to local education systems and how to be involved in their children’s education
- Preparar a las familias para potenciarse frente a ataques contra comunidades inmigrantes
- Orientar a las familias a los recursos comunitarios generales en materia de salud, educación, vivienda e inmigración.
- Proporcionar refugio temporal a familias inmigrantes recién llegadas y sus hijos
- Proporcionar capacitaciones y recursos para familias que se están adaptando a una cultura nueva
- Orientar a las familias a los sistemas educativos locales y cómo participar en la educación de sus hijos